So I’ve re-flashed the Blue, upgraded, updated and reinstalled
blue-arduplane (without the original uEnv.txt dtb substitution), and
connected WIFI via connmanctl. The board is working again, with comms back.
GPS blue LED is blinking (meaning that it has a GPS lock). I can again run
blue-arduplane and receive telemetry via WIFI to my laptop but no GPS. I
then ran…

config-pin –q

…on P9.21 and P9.22 and confirmed that those pins are now, in fact,
pre-assigned as UART.  Progress. Thank you for that simplification.

At this point I understand (please correct me if I’m wrong) that no further
action is required to use the UART connector silkscreened “GPS” on the
BBBlue, except for configuring the connection for my specific GPS’ COM
parameters. My uBlox neo-M8n, purchased from Hobby King, states “This
module ships with a baud rate of 38400, 10Hz
<https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ublox-neo-m8n-gps-with-compass.html?___store=en_us>”.

 I have not yet setup u-center to modify the GPS' firmware, so I’ll include
the stated default baud in my testing, as well as the more common 4800 and
9600 baud and, while I'm at it, 19200.

I then install the TTY terminal application tio…

sudo apt install tio

Running tio to set the connection baud of a specific port, I get back…

debian@beaglebone:~$ tio -b 9600 /dev/ttyS1
[tio 18:52:00] tio v1.20
[tio 18:52:00] Press ctrl-t q to quit
[tio 18:52:00] Connected

…no matter the baud (4800, 9600, 19200 or 38400) or the port (ttyS1,
ttyS2).  None of those alternatives yet yields GPS data; it just hangs at
“Connected” until I…

ctrl-t q

Then, running Jason’s One-Liner GPS test…

stty -F /dev/ttyO2 ispeed 4800 ospeed 4800;tail -f /dev/ttyO2

# also then with /dev/ttyS1 and /dev/ttyS2

…with the same baud and port parameter variations above also just hangs at
the command line, until I ctrl-C. My guess is that this means the software
tools are working, telling me that this monkey is still missing something
important.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/32c47d8a-bfac-4623-a3c1-4bb8394808ce%40googlegroups.com.