Been using emulators for 32 years in industry if you exclude debugging linux(
printf is common) and look at bare metal or RTOS which many hard real time
systems use you save time. IMO toggle gpio and printf is like erasing and
programming eepeoms 30 years ago. Sure it works for applications but for low
level bring up I won't work for a company that doesn't supply me a jtag. If
your app uses the serial port your sol using printf. I recently worked at a
company used an esp8260 Wi-Fi SoC project failed it took forever to reflash and
once we added in the serial protocol printf was not possible. the lack of jtag
killed the project. If your a student I get $90 of your own money may seem a
lot but look at as an investment in your future every one uses jtag outside the
linux community for RTOS and high end jtag like lauterbach used by ARM, TI etc
etc cost thousands if dollars why do you think TI makes a cheap jtag and CCS
support? Because for DSP ARM OMAP real world projects in successful products
selling millions of units like the one I'm working on at work using omap138
Greenhills RTOS on the ARM and sysbios on the 687x DSP of omap and btw we use 2
PRUs this got to market quickly because of jtag. I will say this product is now
debugged by loading binaries for DSP and ARM from a flash filesystem via
telnet. T it took years to get that stable using you guessed it Greenhill sling
shot jtag for ARM and CCS and jtag for ARM bootloader and DSP debug. I wasn't
there when they debugged the PRUs its loaded from a c file by arm as is the DSP
via shared DDR
If you Google debugging the PRU with CCS you will find a tutorial for the bone
PRU using CCS.Get the skills employers use to deliver products quickly I bet
you never look back. I Probally have a dozen jtag for a dozen micros
I buy them as a learning aid to hit the ground running on any new processor I
use. These SOcs are way to complex and life is way to short to wiggle gpios.If
you can't find the wiki I mentioned just ask
Cheers
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Clark Sann<acs...@icloud.com> wrote:   Mark,

So what can I do with it if I get one? I’m programming the PRU in C, can I
inspect variables and insert breakpoints?

Clark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/967BAFEF-EEB2-49CB-AB41-97A20CAF29AF%40icloud.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/1694417349.2650157.1502232710966%40mail.yahoo.com.