If I set TETHER_ENABLED=no, then I lose the SoftAP interface completely. I
still want the SoftAP, I just don't want data to be routed between the
SoftAP and wlan0 (or 4G or USB eth0, etc).

I am not very familiar with it, but is it something in iptables? Initially
it was:
debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo iptables -S
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o SoftAp0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i SoftAp0 -o wlan0 -j ACCEPT

I tried removing the last two lines to make it:
debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo iptables -S
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT

But, that still didn't stop internet access while connected to the SoftAP.

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4c520488-969b-4090-a098-bbbc0e706175%40googlegroups.com.