On 1/29/2019 12:58 AM, Dave wrote:
> I am trapping serial output on BOTH the target board and a BBB booting the
> SAME SD card, with the only difference being the setting of init_console.
> After each has run as far as it will - in the case of the BBB I get a login
> prompt.

I don't think this is an "apples to apples" test.  I haven't crawled
into the low-level differences between the BBB and the Octavo SIP, but
I _think_ at least the DRAM settings are different.  Do you have a
Pocket Beagle or one of the other Octavo boards handy for testing?

Are you sure U-Boot is patched to handle your EEPROM-less board?

That said, if you were having SDRAM timing issues I'd expect the
kernel to crash and I wouldn't expect the failure to be so consistent
with USR LEDs still blinking.  So I wouldn't chase SDRAM issues right
away, but just keep in mind that might be part of your problems.

> I vimdiff the serial output captures.
>
> On the BBB I get alot of console output from the end of all the eqep driver
> setup through the login prompt.
> On the target all serial output stops with the eqep output - but the LEDS
> continue to be active.
> As they are soft - something is still executing

See if adding a getty for UART4 gets you a login prompt.  You don't
really need the kernel console if you can login, and with the USR LEDs
blinking it sounds like the system is probably still running.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/c85e26a1-231a-8d0b-f173-79614a236079%40steinkuehler.net.