On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:15:38 PM UTC-6, Hugo van den Brand
wrote:

> Op do 13 feb. 2020 16:17 schreef <ddch...@gmail.com <javascript:>>:
>
>> Also i did not connect ethernet cable when doing this, was that a problem
>> as well?
>>
>> On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 8:45:45 AM UTC-6, Daniel Chapa wrote:
>>>
>>> i have a BBB that i bout years ago.  i believe its rev c.  at that time
>>> i was trying to flash it with debian but could never get it to work.  i
>>> gave up put the thing away.  got a soul crushing office job and havent
>>> looked at the thing sense.  i want a new job/side gig and i figured i could
>>> learn ethical hacking.  at this point i thought why don't i trying running
>>> kali linux on the BBB.  i put kali linux on an sd card so i could boot it
>>> and that has not been working at all.  two of the user leds light up and
>>> then the device just sits there not doing anything.
>>>

> First off, by default the BBB boots from the internal eMMC. To make it
> boot any SD card you need to press the usr button that is near the SD card.
>
> You are sure that you are using an image that works for arm?
>
> https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-arm-images/
>
> When it really fails to boot, the distro might be missing the required
> kernel modules to support the hardware.
> In that case,  the kernel driver for the hdmi might not be loaded yet.
>
> I think the only way to debug is connect a cable to the debug terminal.
> https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Serial
> You need a tty client to use the cable.
> That could be putty, picocom or something else.
> With the terminal you can inspect the booting process and see which error
> it gives.
>
> For some more detail on the system you might want to read the system
> reference manual
> https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-black/wiki/System-Reference-Manual

/* the image of kali i am using is from that link and is the version made
for the BBB.  i do push the boot button and the three leds turn on, but the
device just sits there. i can try formatting the chip and creating the
image again.  see what happens from there.  i was trying to avoid
connecting to my computer and using putty to do this because a lot of the
"how to's"  that i read said i didnt have to, but the videos did.  if i
have to thats fine i can try doing things that way.*/

>>> My setup up is to connect an hdmi to a monitor, and hub for keyboard and
>>> mouse.  im thinking because my bbb still runs Angstrom that i am having an
>>> issue running kali since kali is debian based.  i have been trying to flash
>>> debian on to the bbb so that i can try booting kali that way.
>>>

> The distro that is present on the eMMC should not have any impact when you
> boot a distro from the SD card.

/*so your saying that regardless of what is on the eMMC if i put in an sd
chip that has a working version of BBB compatible Linux then it should boot
right?*/

>>> i cant get the device to flash with debian.  i have looked at different
>>> videos on youtube describing the proccess and nothing has worked for me.
>>>

> This is typically the point where you want to provide more detail. Which
> steps did you follow exactly?
> What did you expect?
> What happened instead?
> Any relevant information on the version of the software you are using?

/*
i was expecting the same things as these.
i used the following links:
       http://derekmolloy.ie/write-a-new-image-to-the-beaglebone-black/
       https://youtu.be/_nPj1cCFrRk
       https://youtu.be/oRGrm8RfGCE
*/

>> i download the image with the gui and use win32 to burn the image.  i put
>>> the sd chip in the device holding down the boot button and 3 leds turn on
>>> and the device just sits there, no flashing or knight rider pattern.  i saw
>>> some tutorials that say to get into the boot folder and change the unev.txt
>>> file through the device itself and still nothing.  can someone give me a
>>> hand in getting this done?  or point me to a process that has worked for
>>> them?
>>>
>>> also if you could give me some suggestions as to why kali is not booting
>>> from the sd chip that would be great.
>>>
>>> Please tell me if this is wrong as well:
>>> i want to use the BBB as a stand-alone computer with the latest version
>>> of debian.  i want to pulg it into a monitor and have a keyboard and mouse
>>> with a GUI running debian.  i can do this with angstrom but cant get the
>>> debian version of linux to flash and get this going.
>>>

> That should be no problem.
> That should work with any distro that supports the hardware.

/*Here i am under the impression that once i fix the flashing issues and
make sure that the kali image is the right image i should be able to do
this no problem?*/