On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:51:44 -0800 (PST), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user KenUnix
<ken.unix.guy-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>*I tried installing the BONE_D64.exe drivers but all came back with red
>X's. I rebooted*

        What came back "red X's"?

        I'd suggest opening the device manager (admin privileges needed),
looking for any entry with an alert icon, and maybe deleting those devices.

        I'm pretty certain the BONE_D64.exe drivers don't need to be explicitly
loaded -- I think Win10 can find a compatible driver online, automatically.
At least, I don't recall running that installer on my system when I had to
rebuild it for Win10.

        With a BBB booted, I show a "Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device" under
Disk Drives. Under Network Adapters I have  a "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS
Gadget". I do have a "CDC ECM" item under "other devices" with a !-triangle
which says no driver is available for it. I suspect the "CDC ECM" device is
associated with the 192.168.6.2 address used on Mac connections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNDIS
"""
The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) defines at least three non-proprietary
USB communications device class (USB CDC) protocols with comparable
"virtual Ethernet" functionality; one of them (CDC-ECM) predates RNDIS and
is widely used for interoperability with non-Microsoft operating systems,
but does not work with Windows.
"""

        Personally -- I don't use the USB network connection; I prefer a CAT-5
(or better) cable to a high-speed switch connected to my Uverse "modem".
Otherwise the BBB can't get to the outside world unless one configures
"internet connection sharing" and any needed openings in the Windows
firewall. I'm only using the USB to provide power as I have too many
wall-warts in use already -- I have one, if not two, power strips plugged
into my rather large UPS just to get room for wall warts.

--
Dennis L Bieber