On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 4:29 PM Georg Gast <schorsch76...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> i have an old Beaglebone Black (short after it was released) and now i got a
> new BBAI. The BBB i could run with a mainline kernel and mainline u-boot and
> a stock Debian/armhf.
>
> I build u-boot from source and rest was qemu-debootstraped.
>
> For other SBC's like the Pi4 there is a description how exactly the
> bootprocess works. Also the BBB got a description how to setup the SD card to
> boot it.
>
> My first try was to setup the SD card as i did with the BBB but it didn't
> work out. When i flash the Flasher Image i can restore my MMC and it works
> again. Even if i copy the content of the original MMC to the SD card it works.
>
> I got a TTL UART adapter and i can see u-boot and work with it on the stock
> images. My interest is in understanding the boot sequences of these SBCs and
> run them most of the time with Debian and upstream sources.
>
> Could you point me to a description of the boot sequence? The offical system
> manual is still on TODO in these areas.

For pure mainline/debian, just setup extlinux.. U-Boot will load that
file and do the generic bootup, just make sure to disable quiet

/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

TI nuked all am57xx pinmuxing in the mainline kernel, so all pinmux
values need to be setup in u-boot, i'm not sure if that's 100% yet..
(aka i don't think eMMC was working)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/