Hey,

I'm trying to figure out a good simple strategy that allows me to track
expenses that I share with my girlfriend. We live together and we have two
types of shared expenses: the ones for our apartment like rent and
utilities and the ones where usually I pay for something for the both of us.

For the first type of transactions I don't care about the balance between
us, she pays a fixed amount into my account from which most bills go out
from each month. I do however care about having accurate tracking of these
expenses so I can tell what our fixed monthly expenses are. For example, I
want the full rent and cost of all the utilities to show up among my
expenses. At the moment I'm tracking this using regular expense accounts
which I create posts against whenever I pay our rent for example. I post
the transactions where my girlfriend sends me the fixed amount as a special
income account and I'm pretty happy with this solution (I think).

I currently have no solution that I'm happy with for the second type of
transactions. These transactions usually occur at an irregular basis and
the amounts vary wildly and I always care about maintaining some sort of
balance but whether I care about tracking the full value to an expense
account or not varies. For example, if I pay for a pair of shoes she wants
because she doesn't have any money in the currency then I'd want to keep
track of the balance she owes me but not the expense. However if we go and
buy Christmas decorations and I pay then I'd want to record the full amount
to an expense account and half of the amount to an account that represents
the money my girlfriend owes me. Preferably I'd like to track the balance
between me and my girlfriend as an asset account as that to me seems like
the quickest way to at a glance tell the status between us (but I may be
wrong).

I was playing around with using an intermediate liability account (see
bellow) and I think I could calculate the balance between us with a query
but since we already have a history and I just started using beancount I
have no account to post the current balance against and future payments to
balance this would be harder to track without an asset account?

2017-11-26 * "Christmas"
  Expenses:Home:Decoration  30 GBP
  Liabilities:Shared                  -30 GBP

2017-11-26 * "Christmas"
  Liabilities:Shared  30 GBP
  Liabilities:Amex   -30 GBP

Does anyone have any idea on how to track this in a neat way, preferably
without plugins. And yes I've read the expense sharing cookbok but didn't
see any solution I was perfectly happy with :).

Cheers!
Andreas