On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:59:04PM -0500, Martin Blais wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Simon Michael <si...@joyful.com> wrote:
> > Congrats, Martin!!

Ditto!

> > Gonna present him with his ledger on his 18th birthday ? (Yikes :-)

So, *cough* I'm actually doing the same think for my kid *cough*, with a
tag for each transaction that is related to him.

(Digression: the fact that you need the tag to be short looks like due
to the current Beancount limitation of having to put tags on the same
line of payee/description, which can get pretty long. I'm still doing
this in Ledger-CLI --- and generating a beancount automatically from it
for Fava and SQL-ish queries --- where tags can be on subsequent
(comment) lines so the tag can get long-ish, without being too much of a
hassle.)

But I'm not exactly sure to understand what's the benefit of Martin
rewriting plugin --- aside from showing off the beautiful data
model/flow that Beancount offers and which I love, that is :-)). Even
with just a simple tag, I can filter all transactions with a simple
query, and get a current balance (or filtered ledger, or whatever),
where the categories are the "right" ones, in the sense that grocery
would be (baby-related) Expenses:Grocery, clothes Expenses:Clothes, etc.

What am I missing here?

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . z...@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o