Hi Andreas,

I track my shared expenses with my roommates this way:

; My roommate pays, the dinner is 100 for each of us
2017-12-01 * "Dining out"
  Equity:ARAP:Alice   -100.00 CNY
  Expenses:Food:DiningOut 100.00 CNY

; I pay for the rent, which is 3000 for each of us
2017-12-02 * "Rent for November"
  Assets:SomeBank   -6000.00 CNY
  Expenses:Rent      3000.00 CNY
  Equity:ARAP:Alice  3000.00 CNY

; My roommate pays me to settle up
2017-12-03 * "Settle up"
  Equity:ARAP:Alice  -2900.00 CNY
  Assets:SomeBank     2900.00 CNY

The idea is to set up an account for each of your friends (Alice, Bob,
etc). I used to put these personal accounts under
Assets:AccountsReceivables, but I do not want them to appear under Assets
column in the Balance Sheet. Also, the balance of these accounts may be
negative sometimes. So I abuse / misuse the "Equity" root account and
renamed them to be under "Equity:ARAP". "ARAP" is a term I made up for
"Account Receivables / Account Payables".

I recommend that you try [Splitwise](https://www.splitwise.com/), which
is a great software for tracking shared expenses. My friends and I use
it to track shared expenses collaboratively. I use the CSV export
feature, and bean-extract the bills into Beancount at the end of each
month.

A side note: Splitwise does not provide a day-to-day balance. So my
friends and I settle up at least once a month. This works as a "balance"
directive in Beancount, asserting the balance to be zero. It makes
finding errors easier.

Zhuoyun Wei