I have separate files for:

* One giant "archive-main" which holds stuff older than 2-3 years and I
periodically move stuff there. I don't want to open huge files with my text
editor
* One "current-general" file which holds everything that doesn't go in
other files
* "property" where I put stuff like furniture, electronics etc
* "investments"
* One file per car I own(ed) which I don't merge with archive as I consult
it later for things. I also can send it to the new owner when I sell him my
old car (+ some generated reports for the car like gas economy etc)
* "accounts" (opening, closing and balances) I use this for backwards
compatibility with ledger-cli. I have a separate "root" file for ledger
with different includes. Though I haven't used it recently and I might just
abandon this arrangement
* "prices" same as above