On 4/30/06, Golam Mortuza Hossain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/30/06, Deepayan Sarkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Quoting from
> http://www.bengalinux.org/documents/bengali-keyboard-mini-howto.php,

But isn't the same page advocating the use of "CTRL+SHIFT"
for Bengali keyboard switching??  :-( I think it would be nice to
update the page.

Well, it's one of those things. Someone (I forget who) wrote the first
draft. I complained about the KDE problem, but no one responded. I
didn't think it would be right to change it completely without
permission, so I added the alternative with a comment about KDE.

It is probably due for an update anyway with xorg 7.0. I had problems
following those instructions, so I'm using KDE's switcher nowadays.

> > #2 Duplication of BN shorcuts
> >
> > This is a serious problem. Checking manually for
> > duplication is not an easy task! However, I think
> > its not difficult to write a script to check them
> > automatically.

> I don't think this will work. First of all, it's fine to have the same
> shortcut in different submenus. Also, consider the two strings
> "Enable Proxy" and "Disable Proxy". They will probably be
> close together in the sources and in the same submenu as
> well, but will never be displayed together. So, it's fine if they
> have the same shortcut.

Maybe I didn't get you properly. You are saying, having same bn
shortcuts MAY still work which is correct. But problem is really
with situations where it DOES NOT work. Don't you agree that
if one ensures all shortcuts are different in a submenu
("location") then that's is SUFFICIENT condition such
that all shortcuts are functional?

Yes, your solution is sufficient (so I shouldn't have said it wouldn't
work) but suboptimal (and possibly impractical). It may force
unnatural choices unnecessarily. There may easily be more shortcuts in
an application than available characters. Also, this may not work for
modular applications, e.g. KDE's control center, where the source code
for each module is in a different file, but the shortcuts should not
conflict the main menu entries.

Deepayan