James,

ESI multihoming (load-sharing) works just fine with VxLAN encapsulation (when
supported), there’s no need for additional (proprietary) mechanisms (at least
with basic synchronization).

Gyan - the devil is in the details (as always) - I’m looking at multivendor
EVPN VxLAN ESI designs as we speak, I’m yet to figure out how ESI type 3 (only
ESI type supported in NX-OS) is going to work with ESI types 0/1 supported in
Junos and Arista. I’d assume upcoming open source implementations will support
type 0 (manual) only.

To second James - replacing MLAG with ESI multihoming could be a really big
deal in terms of simplification and normalization of the fabric (and you could
finally remove peer-links!).
L2 vs L3 discussion is somewhat orthogonal to that, if your services require
stretched L2, whether your VTEPs are on a server or switch - you’d still be
doing L2overL3.

I still wouldn’t dare to deploy multivendor leafs though, but one step at a
time ;-)

Cheers,
Jeff