Yes, you’re right that 9012 is another possible ref.

Regarding the option of doing it in the current spec —

- I hear you that you’re not certain you’d be capturing every relevant
reference, however I think this is a case of “best is the enemy of good”.
Listing the known references would be an improvement over the current state of
affairs, likewise updating the description.
- There is nothing preventing a later doc from updating the registry again, if
that’s deemed necessary. Registries are updated all the time. So, we wouldn’t
be foreclosing any options or doing anything irreversible.
- Getting WG input (such as would come from a full last call) is certainly
important for many things, but you’ve just pointed out yourself that this isn’t
a functional change, so I think it’s unlikely that any harm would ensue from
not invoking maximum process.

I had a look at BCP 26/RFC 8216 and this approach seems consistent with the
guidance there. Indeed, strictly speaking it would be inappropriate NOT to add
[this document] as a reference in the registry, at minimum — so the only
question then becomes, whether to update the description and add the other
references at the same time.

Bottom line, I continue to think it’s appropriate to do it in the current spec,
and more expedient. Seems like all upside, no downside, very good
bang-for-the-buck.

Here’s what (per my reading of BCP 26 §7) the bare-bones update would look like:

9.X Subsequent Address Family Identifiers (SAFI) Parameters Registry

IANA is requested to add this document as a reference for value 128 in the
Subsequent Address Family Identifiers (SAFI) Parameters registry.

That would then leave the other work for a later draft, as you suggest. I’m
only providing the above for clarity, it’s not my recommendation, the earlier
version is.

—John