Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your review! Please, see my inline.

ср, 24 авг. 2022 г. в 10:49, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Thank you for sharing your draft. I am cc-ing IDR as you are proposing
> modifications to core BGP.
>
> What you are proposing IMO will work fine and in fact I recall we had
> number of discussions on this in the past some of which resulted in
> definition of Edge_Discriminator Attribute as described
> in draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore-03

[IM] Honestly, nothing prevents us to reproduce the described solution with
manual export policies and some vendor scripting system on a box (if it is
available), but I just wanted to see a more standard approach.
Talking about of Edge_Disriminator. I concur that it is much better to have
a control plane solution instead of multiplying the state in the underlay
(I'm also not happy about it). But it requires support on ingress PEs only
which is a trade-off. Sad, that this solution wasn't implemented widely!

> However what you are proposing has serious scaling limits and impact to
> underlay if anyone would like to do this for lot's of VRFs.

[IM] Agree. I understood it well before I started drafting. My goal was as
less as possible touch to VPN and other mechanics. BGP NH tracking allows
us to implement changes (update boxes) only for MH PEs.

> Let me observe that below quote is not correct:
>
>    Neither IP VPN [RFC4364] nor IPv6 VPN [RFC4659] have a mass routes
>    withdrawal mechanism.
>
> they do from day one. You can easily remove all routes in a given VRF by
> withdrawing the RD/64 prefix. Single BGP message.

[IM] Well, actually I totally missed this mechanic. It sounds really good
and I'm surprised that it isn't widely used (at least I haven't encountered
it). A careful reading of 4365/4659 didn't show me anything about it, from
my understating, RD`s task is just to distinguish routes and nothing more.
Maybe it is described anywhere else?

> So in your case (Internet in a VRF) there is simple solution:
>
> Option I ) Put each CE into a separate VRF - when CE goes down - just
> withdraw the /64 RD.

[IM] This is obviously not the way, especially for brownfields.

> Option II)  Alternatively you may ask your favourite vendor to allow
> multiple RDs in a VRF - one per each CE. Withdraw mechanism will be the
> same /64 per CE however no impact to the underlay .. still single next hop,
> single forwarding label etc ... In this option in the case both CEs
> advertise the same nets you would still advertise the single best path only
> out of this VRF. Keep in mind however that paths will be different from
> each CE so upon a CE failure while you can quickly remove the previously
> advertised routes you need to announce  all of them again anyway with
> different CE paths. So the solutions is not much better then smart
> implementations and Option I.

[IM] This is more interesting. And I believe the described problem with a
couple of CEs can be addressed by Add-Paths for VPNs.

> Lastly, why is your draft on the Standards Track ? It does not define any
> protocol extension so at best can be Informational.

[IM] The reason is simple, I thought that any changes that a document can
introduce to a running code cannot be described in Informational documents.
I will fix it, thanks!