> On Sep 21, 2016, at 1:45, Tom Frei <tom.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm new to bibdesk and this mailing list. I like bibdesk so far, but I see it
> doesn't like when I try to edit a generated bibtex file by hand with vim. If
> I edit the file with vim and then later open it with bibdesk and make a
> subsequent edit with bibdesk, it doesn't like it and overwrites the file and
> omits my manual edit.  This is probably a feature that I don't recognize.
> What's the workaround? What I'm trying to do is add the shortauthor field to
> a bibtex entry. Thanks in advance!

What kind of manual edit do you mean? Do you mean edits to bibtex items. Those
should just remain. But don’t edit them while open in two different editors at
the same time. If you mean edits to other content of the file, that may be
overwritten, as in bibtex that is basically just consider comments.

Christiaan