Hi,

I've read the responses to my email so far and I want to say thank you. As
your responses suggested, I had both bibdesk and vim open at the same
time.  I see now (duh) that bibtesk just wants to keep integrity of the
files it is working on while it is open.  That is why it didn't allow
changes to the file that it had open at the time.

Thank you all for your help.  Sorry for the newbie mistake.

-Tom