Incidentally, does anyone actually understand what Shorewood Hills intended with their bicycle flow near the pool? I now bike that route more frequently in order to get to and from my office, and each day, I find myself wondering if I'm actually following the "rules".

The path from Shorewood Boulevard east through Roth park is a 2-way, multi-use path. That's clear. Then it merges into Purdue Street (I think; there's no sign, but I'm going by what Google Maps has it labelled with), which, as far as I can tell, is one way going east, connecting Columbia Road and Swarthmore Court. Here there's a right- hand bike lane (marked with a diamond). However, some signage seems to imply that while it's one-way for cars, it's two-way for bikes. Then it reaches the pool and becomes a multi-use path again until Marshall Court.

So what about this stretch shared with cars on Purdue St? If I stay on the bike path when I'm going east, I'm on the right of traffic, in the same direction. However, when I go west...if I bear right, I'm going against the flow of car traffic, which strikes me as profoundly unsafe. If I stay on the left (on the bike lane), I'm in a bike lane, but then I'm often darting into the car lane to avoid cyclists coming the other direction in the lane. Maybe it's meant to be a two-way bike path there was well, but it seems too narrow to accommodate that.

The signage doesn't make the intentions of the designers clear, that's for sure.

If anyone understands how this works, I'd appreciate knowing.  :-)

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to