I would like to weigh in on the lighting issue.

 

As for more lighting along paths, I don't feel a need for them myself, but I
suspect they would make many people - women in particular - feel safer about
using the paths at night.

 

As for bike lighting, I strongly recommend a good helmet-mounted light, even
if it makes you look like an alien headless horseman.  Mine is a Nite Rider
with 15/10/6 watts.  It has a beautiful pattern and at the highest power
setting it cranks out enough photons to satisfy me.  I do a quite a bit of
riding on the Cap City Trail and country roads at night, so most of the time
I don't have any ambient lighting to help.

 

Why helmet-mounted?  You can put the light right where you want it, sweep
ditches, look left and right at intersections (to check for bicyclists
WITHOUT lights, for example).and, when a car is approaching from behind,
when you swing your helmet around at them it really gets their attention.
Using a helmet-mounted light this way greatly improves safety.

 

I do my best to avoid frying the retinas of approaching bicyclists and
walkers.  Either I'll turn my head to the side, or I'll hold my hand up to
block the light from shining on them.  The pattern is fairly concentrated so
this works.

 

Hans Noeldner

 

_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to