From: bind-users-bounces+jlightner=water....@lists.isc.org
[mailto:bind-users-bounces+jlightner=water....@lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of Phil
Mayers
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:41 AM
To: bind-users@lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: CNAME only zone?

On 09/12/11 16:25, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Is it possible to create a zone file that only contains a CNAME?

This comes up a lot, it seems.

No. CNAME conflicts with any other record - including the SOA and NS
records required at the apex.

You will have to put an A record at the apex.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the
sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.