> I would run a firewall even for BIND alone on a box in case the box
> gets compromised through BIND. Allowing remote access and DNS, then
> dropping everything else as the general firewall policy should be
> pretty straightforward. But with the IP on this particular BIND box
> being public, it's really like any other server on the internet. Port
> forwarding or NAT in that case would be unnecessary.

Do you mean a simple stateless ACL, or a stateful firewall? If you
really mean a stateful firewall: Think about the effect of DNS
queries - they are usually UDP based, and every new query is going
to create state. Read up on state table exhaustion.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no