Simply stateless. Something along the lines of this (iptables):

# SSH may be internal only or moved to a different port
iptables -A INPUT -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
# Enable DNS on both TCP and UDP
iptables -A INPUT -m tcp -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT
-m udp -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
# Allow ping
iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -m state --state
NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
# Allow internal network traffic
iptables -A INPUT -s $internal -j
ACCEPT
# Set the general input policy to drop traffic.
iptables -P INPUT DROP

What I'm concerned with security-wise is that if BIND has an RCE
vulnerability, an unprivileged user might be able to "upload a shell"
that gets executed and listens on another port. With all other ports
closed, this can be prevented. It does not prevent against privilege
escalation vulnerabilities though, as root can of course adjust the
firewall at will. But I wouldn't consider security as "being
unhackable", rather making it as hard as possible to get in. A firewall
is a good starting point for that.

--
Michael De Roover <i...@nixmagic.com>