On 14.05.24 14:20, DEMBLANS Mathieu wrote:
A part of the subdomains are managed by us, others subdomains by an other
entity.

If you really have multiple subdomains for exanmle.com managed by different entities, then yes, wildcard is not good idea.
This applies to A and MX records as well.

So we can't configure a generic target for all subdomains as each entity has its own target for SRV entries.

You can't even setup wildcard for *.example.com to provide server1.example.com A/MX record, because the _imap._tcp.server1.example.com would make the wildcard invalid for server1.example.com.

Simply, wildcarding is not for case like this.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : bind-users <bind-users-boun...@lists.isc.org> De la part de Matus UHLAR -
fantomas
Envoyé : mardi 14 mai 2024 15:58
À : bind-users@lists.isc.org
Objet : Re: SRV on multiple subdomains

On 14.05.24 13:08, DEMBLANS Mathieu wrote:
I have a question about configuration simplification for SRV configuration
(maybe it can be applyed for other entries).

We manage multiple subdomain of a main one (server1.example.com,
server2.example.com,...).
For A and MX entries, we use a general domain definitions with wildcard but is
there a way to do so for SRV without having to define all subdomains (we have
several dizains of it) ?

We have to define some SRV entries with the same target like :
_imap._tcp.server1.example.com  IN SRV main.exemple.com
_imap._tcp.server2.example.com  IN SRV main.exemple.com

I assume that _imap._tcp should be configurable per domain, so there should not
be needed any need for things like _imap._tcp.server1.example.com
- you should use _imap._tcp.example.com

For example something like _imap._tcp.*.example.com  IN SRV main.example.com.
I read in a doc that the < * > can only be the  leftmost label in the name.

correct.

Is there an other way to simplify or does I have to add each entry individually?

no, but the question is if you really need this.
I'm not interested in your website anymore.
If you need cookies, bake them yourself.