Adding my 2p, I would take that principle a step further.
Create a generic, unique SRV record that represents what you want to
happen. Then create specific CNAME records for each server. The reasons for
the extra, generic record are that it represents the service you want to
offer and all "server.." records you want to use that service are identical
in structure. e.g.

imap-tcp-service.example.com.  SRV  <priority weight port target>
_imap._tcp.server1.example.com.  CNAME  imap-tcp-service.example.com.
_imap._tcp.server2.example.com.  CNAME  imap-tcp-service.example.com.
_imap._tcp.server999.example.com.  CNAME  imap-tcp-service.example.com.
and so on.

Cheers, Greg