On 11/17/2017 04:08 AM, Neumann, Steffen wrote:
Hi,

I would like to have a URL to individual files
we have in BioC packages. This is useful
e.g. if I need test data from, say, the msdata package,
in another context.

In the SVN days, I was able to point directly
into the SVN repo with readonly:readonly access.
We also had the (now deprecated) way to link to:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Bioconductor-mirror/xcms/master/DESCRIPTION

-> Is there anything comparable today ?

I think the git archive command might do the trick, but it requires ssh (i.e., write) access to the repository

git archive --remote=g...@git.bioconductor.org:packages/xcms \
     master DESCRIPTION | tar -xf -

It could be as simple as a directory tree
of a working copies of all https://git.bioconductor.org/
served by the apache (or whatever) web server,
or (a bit cooler) a gitweb or similar http interface.

Wouldn't that be a fantastic christmas present
for us users and developers :-) ?

Yours,
Steffen