Kenneth,

I agree with Kasper. I generally like the approach of getting the software
out there sooner rather than later. Especially if the paper you are talking
about is a method paper about the software algorithm, rather than a result
paper. In that case, getting it into a public, DOI'ed repository quickly
protects you from being scooped (if that is a concern of yours, it's
generally not a super large one of mine).

This will also give the community and package reviewers a chance to give
you feedback, resulting in the paper being written about a better piece of
software when it does happen. Just like manuscripts, no (ok, *vanishingly
few *but almost surely not yours or mine) software is perfect after its
first development pass, so i'd strongly advise you not to think of your
software as 'complete' the moment you hit submit. Consider it an important
part of the development process.

Best,
~G