HI,

I don't have a good explanation why it was timing out on kunpeng2 but I
think it will pass from now on!

Here is what I did:

1) I tried to build benchdamic on kunpeng2:

$ R CMD build --keep-empty-dirs --no-resave-data benchdamic
* checking for file ‘benchdamic/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
* preparing ‘benchdamic’:
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* installing the package to build vignettes
* creating vignettes ...

and it hung here for several minutes...

2) I checked the single vignette in the package and I noticed that it
uses/depends on data package HMP16SData

3) in a new terminal session I started R and installed the data package:

BiocManager::install("HMP16SData")
Bioconductor version 3.18 (BiocManager 1.30.21), R 4.3.1 (2023-06-16)
Installing package(s) 'HMP16SData'
trying URL '
https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.18/data/experiment/src/contrib/HMP16SData_1.21.0.tar.gz
'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 17066704 bytes (16.3 MB)
downloaded 16.3 MB

* installing *source* package ‘HMP16SData’ ...
** using staged installation
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation
path
* DONE (HMP16SData)

Since it didn't stop early with a message like "The package is already
installed with the last version" it seems this data package was not
installed until now. Should this data package be listed as
dependency/suggest in the DESCRIPTION file ?1

4) and now the build in the first terminal session finished successfully:
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* building ‘benchdamic_1.7.3.tar.gz’

Since the data package is installed I think from now on
the benchdamic package will not timeout on kunpeng2 until the next update
of the R installation/version when all installed packages in site-library
will be lost and they will have to be downloaded again (automatically or
manually, as I did for HMP16SData)

Regards,
Martin