Miners could include their fee tiers in the coinbase, but this is obviously
open to manipulation, with little recourse (unless they are a pool and miners
move away because of it).

In any event, I think that trying out a solution that is both simple and
involves the least number of parties necessary is preferable.

Have miners set their tiers, have users select the level of quality they want,
ignore the block size.

Miners will adapt their tiers depending on how many transactions actually end
up in them. If for example they set the first tier to be $1 to be included in
the current block and no user chooses that level of service, they've obviously
priced themselves out of the market. The opposite is also true; if a tier is
popular they can choose to increase the cost of that tier.

jp