On Wednesday, June 08, 2016 5:57:36 AM Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Why not make it even bigger, e.g. 75 bytes?

I don't see a sufficient answer to this question. Pieter explained why >75
would be annoying, but 75 seems like it should be fine.

> In any case, since scripts with a 1-byte push followed by a push of >40
> bytes remain anyone-can-spend, we always have the option to redefine them
> with a softfork.

It's not that simple, since this is preventing use of the witness field for
such scripts. With this limit in place, any such a softfork would suddenly
require either two different witness commitments, or disabling the previous
witness transaction format.

Luke