The API implementation is not what is centralizing, nor is full indexation
non-scalable. The centralization is in not running the API from a node under
your own control. This is of course implied by the comment, “without the need
for syncing”. In other words it is the deployment cost of the node that is
centralizing.

Yet if people relied only on bitcoind and never centralized services there
would be *no* block explorers (and no secure light wallets), because it does
not provide remote query and does not fully index.

Block explorers and light wallets are pretty useful, so presumably some API
must provide these features (ideally with reduced deployment cost). That will
either be centralized or decentralized services. As such it seems wise to
encourage the latter, as opposed to questioning whether there is any valid
block explorer use case.