Goog morning ZmnSCPxj,

>     Unless of course you propose to have the sidechain issue its own coin, in
> which case it is not much more than an altcoin.

Okay, call it an altcoin consensus mechanism. Because sidechains do have to
issue their own coins.

Still, I am not proposing independent altcoins. Bitcoin is the only unit of
account. I am proposing bitcoin derivatives only as means of bitcoin transfer.
Think of gold vs cash.

>     Still, the real-world value of the total block rewards for that altcoin
> will have to match the real-world value of the total block rewards of Bitcoin
> in order to have security even approaching Bitcoin.

My point is that, assuming equal rewards, PoW and bitcoin-backed PoS do offer
the same level of security.

So in theory, you are right. In practice, a sidechain does not need to be as
secure as bitcoin. It requires only a sufficient user base.

Thanks again for your detailed answer,
-Robin