I think the point is to use this proposed extension/standard for a
kind of "seed management" function, set it up on an offline device (an
always offline laptop, or a modified hardware wallet) where you put
the master seed.  And then you use this as a kind of seed manager and
transcript the seeds for different sub-wallets into the respective
wallets as BIP39 mnemonics.

So I do not think it needs any changes from existing wallet authors,
as the interaction point is a bip 39 seed, which they mostly know how
to use.  Indeed if you were to modify an existing wallet to accept the
master seed from seed management scheme and derive the seed it needs
on each wallet, then that would create a weakest link in the chain
risk - if that wallet was insecure, or compromised then all other
derived seeds would be also and you want independence for each wallet.

I do think that this use case is a practical problem for people
managing multiple seeds for various wallets in a bitcoin business
setting or even power users - you lose the single backup design,
because it's too cumbersome to create fresh backups for each of
multiple wallets, especially distributed , fireproof cryptosteel etc
backups and so in practice for multi wallet scenarios probably they
are not all full backed up or not backed up as robustly (not as
geo-redundant, fireproof, secret-shared etc).

Adam