Hi Chris,

I forgot to underscore that contract transaction output must be grieved by
at least a CSV of 1. Otherwise, a malicious counterparty can occupy with
garbage both the timelock-or-preimage output and its own anchor output thus
blocking you to use the bumping capability of your own anchor ouput.

A part of this, I think it works.

> Another possible fix for both vulnerabilities is to separate the
> timelock and hashlock cases into two separate transactions as described
> by ZmnSCPxj in a recent email to this list. This comes at the cost of
> breaking private key handover allowing coins to remain unspent
indefinitely.

This works too assuming these second-stage transactions aren't malleable at
all (e.g SIGASH_SINGLE). Other ways you can increase their feerate/absolute
fee and you're back to the initial situation.

Beyond note also that anchors-on-second-stage are more risky here, as
otherwise your counterparty can again attach a low-feerate child. In case
of concurrent broadcast (assuming you haven't achieved to claim the output
before timelock expiration due to network outage/mempool-congestion) you
might not see your counterparty version. I.e, your local mempool has the
timelock tx and the rest of the network the hashlock and your CPFP bump
won't propagate as being an orphan.

So you're left with a RBF-range, which is mostly okay minus a theoretical
concern : a party guessing the odds to lose the balance are high can
broadcast/send out-of-band the highest-fee bound to miners thus
incentivizing them to censor a honest, low-fee  preimage tx. A
"nothing-at-stake-for-genuinely-evil-counterparty" issue.

> Another possible fix for the second attack, is to encumber the output
> with a `1 OP_CSV` which stops that output being spent while unconfirmed.
> This seems to be the simplest way if your aim is to only fix the second
> attack.

Yes you don't package fee malleability so an honest party can always
unilaterally bump the feerate and override concurrent bids.

That said, I would lean towards anchors and thus unileratel fee bumping.
Feerate interactivity among a multi-party protocol should be seen as an
oracle to leak the full-node of a participant. By sending a range of
conflicting transactions with different feerates to a set of network
mempools I could theoretically observe variations in the protocol feerate
announced.

I would recommend you to have a look on this paper, if it's not done yet :
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2007.00764.pdf, the first one analyzing privacy
holistically across Bitcoin layers.

Cheers,

Antoine