MY LORD HIS EXCELLENCY:

  It is indeed a contest between free markets and central planning.

  Governments can in effect say, you are permitted to buy energy to
smelt aluminum, but not to mine bitcoin, even if bitcoin is more
profitable.

  To the extent that free markets in energy are suppressed, as you
pointed out in china, bitcoin can indeed be suppressed.

  The solution is not to make bitcoin a centrally managed currency,
but to fight hard for free speech, free markets, and in particular
free markets in energy.

  That being said, bitcoin is designed to thrive even if driven underground.

  Your humble subject etc.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 9:41 AM LORD HIS EXCELLENCY JAMES HRMH via
bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> It is obvious that something needs to be done to curtail the current cost of
> mining in kWh per block. I understand proposals are rejected because it is
> considered censorship and Bitcoin has a consensus to allow anyone to mine
> but, since mining requires specific hardware and energy requirements it is
> already a form of censorship where most on the planet except for the top 6% I
> am guessing here, cannot afford to mine. Without affecting the current
> algorithm, I have previously begun to explore the process by which mining can
> be turned into a lottery with only authorized payto addresses able to mine
> valid blocks, since transaction fees and block rewards exist to pay the
> miner. It would be better even if the algorithms are improved if there are
> some ways that only a subset of miners can produce valid blocks for any given
> period, say for 12 months with four groups starting three months apart to
> transition, and maybe limit mining to 50 people per continent to produce
> valid blocks at any o
 ne time. Possibly this requires a consortium to oversee the lottery but it is
something Bitcoin can handle themselves, and would do better to handle than to
wait for government intervention as we have seen previously in China where
power was too cheap Bitcoin was banned entirely.