On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 03:54:21PM -0800, Jeremy via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Some of it's kind of annoying because
> the legal definition of covenant is [...]
> so I do think things like CLTV/CSV are covenants

I think that in the context of Bitcoin, the most useful definition of
covenant is that it's when the scriptPubKey of a utxo restricts the
scriptPubKey in the output(s) of a tx spending that utxo.

CTV, TLUV, etc do that; CSV, CLTV don't. ("checksig" per se doesn't
either, though of course the signature that checksig uses does -- if that
signature is in the scriptPubKey rather than the scriptSig or witness,
that potentially becomes a covenant too)

Cheers,
aj