I'm curious to hear clarification on most of Luke's non-activation related
comments.

> I would ideally like to see fully implemented BIPs for at least one of
these

While that would be interesting, I think that's a heavy burden to be placed
on this BIP. More in depth exploration would be helpful, but a fully
implemented BIP I think is more than necessary.

> Why is it a problem for them to use an Eltoo-like protocol?

I think he was saying it is a problem *unless* its an eltoo-like protocol.
Why I'm not sure. Maybe you can clarify Jeremy?

> It's not clear to me that this holds if OP_CAT or OP_SHA256STREAM get
added.

Even were these opcodes to be implemented in bitcoin, a script writer could
choose to not use them, making it still possible to use CTV to create
covenant chains with a finite number of steps.

>  w.r.t. the language cleanups... the legal definition of covenant ... I
do think things like CLTV/CSV are covenants

Maybe it would be useful to specify that these are "child covenants" or
"inherited covenants" or something like that, since unlike things like
CLTV, CTV and similar proposed opcodes place restrictions on the child
output of the output containing the opcode call, which is the interesting
unique behavior. Tho I don't think we need to be bound to the legal or
dictionary definition in usage of the word covenant in the realm of bitcoin
- its gonna have its own definition in this context anyway.

Thank you Eric for pointing out the factual errors in LukeJr's mention and
implications around BIP8. The fact is that the ST pull request was
described as "BIP9-based" <https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21377>.
TBH BIP8 is also BIP9 based, and ST is its own thing that's neither BIP8
nor BIP9, so characterization one way or another is moot IMO. In any case,
I also agree with Michael that this isn't the place to have a long
discussion about activation method. That discussion should be kept
separate. I'd go so far to say that BIPs should not advocate for any
particular activation method, but should only go so far as to mention what
types of activation methods are possible (if some types aren't possible for
some reason). Separation of concerns would be very useful on that front
to reduce noise in conversations.

Thanks,
BT