Good morning shymaa,

> I just want to add an alarming info to this thread...
>
> There are at least 5.7m UTXOs≤1000 Sat (~7%),
> 8.04 m ≤1$ (10%),
> 13.5m ≤ 0.0001BTC (17%)
>
> It seems that bitInfoCharts took my enquiry seriously and added a main link
> for dust analysis:
> https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-dustiest-bitcoin-addresses.html
> Here, you can see just the first address contains more than 1.7m dust UTXOs
> (ins-outs =1,712,706 with a few real UTXOs holding the bulk of 415 BTC)
> https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1HckjUpRGcrrRAtFaaCAUaGjsPx9oYmLaZ

>  That's alarming isn't it?, is it due to the lightning networks protocol or
> could be some other weird activity going on?
> .

I believe some blockchain tracking analysts will "dust" addresses that were
spent from (give them 546 sats), in the hope that lousy wallets will use the
new 546-sat UTXO from the same address but spending to a different address and
combining with *other* inputs with new addresses, thus allowing them to grow
their datasets about fund ownership.

Indeed JoinMarket has a policy to ignore-by-default UTXOs that pay to an
address it already spent from, precisely due to this (apparently common, since
my JoinMarket maker got dusted a number of times already) practice.

I am personally unsure of how common this is but it seems likely that you can
eliminate this effect by removing outputs of exactly 546 sats to reused
addresses.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj