In reading through more of the discussion, it seems the idea I presented
above might basically be a reformulation of t-bast's rate-limiting idea
presented in this comment
<https://gist.github.com/glozow/25d9662c52453bd08b4b4b1d3783b9ff?permalink_comment_id=4081349#gistcomment-4081349>.
Perhaps he could comment on whether that characterization is accurate.