Hi Billy,

> We should expect miners will be using a more complex, more optimal way of
determining what blocks they're working on [...] we should instead run with
the assumption that miners keep all potentially relevant transactions in
their mempools, including potentially many conflicting transctions, in
order to create the most profitable blocks. And therefore we shouldn't put
the constraint on normal non-mining full nodes to do that same more-complex
mempool behavior or add any complexity for the purpose of denying
transaction replacements.

> I think a lot of the complexity in these ideas is because of the attempt
to match relay rules with miner
inclusion rules.

I think the assumption that miners are using a completely different
implementation of mempool and block template building is false. IIUC, most
miners use Bitcoin Core and perhaps configure their node differently (e.g.
larger mempool and different minfeerates), but also use `getblocktemplate`
which means the same ancestor package-based mining algorithm.

Of course, I'm not a miner, so if anybody is a miner or has seen miners'
setups, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In either case, we would want our mining algorithm to result in block
templates that are as close as possible to perfectly incentive compatibile.

Fundamentally, I believe default mempool policy (which perhaps naturally
creates a network-wide transaction relay policy) should be as close to the
mining code as possible. Imagine node A only keeps 1 block's worth of
transactions, and node B keeps a (default) 300MB mempool. The contents of
node A's mempool should be as close as possible to a block template
generated from node B's mempool. Otherwise, node A's mempool is not very
useful - their fee estimation is flawed and compact block relay won't do
them much good if they need to re-request a lot of block transactions.
Next, imagine that node B is a miner. It would be very suboptimal if the
mining code was ancestor package-based (i.e. supports CPFP), but the
mempool policy only cared about individual feerate, and evicted low-fee
parents despite their high-fee children. It's easy to see why this would be
suboptimal.
Attempting to match mempool policy with the mining algorithm is also
arguably the point of package relay. Our mining code uses ancestor packages
which is good, but we only submit transactions one at a time to the
mempool, so a transaction's high-fee children can't be considered until
they are all already in the mempool. Package relay allows us to start
thinking about ancestor packages immediately when evaluating transactions
for submission to the mempool.

The attempt to match policy with miner inclusion rules is deliberate and
necessary.

> I want to echo James O'Beirne's opinion on this that this may be the
wrong path to go down (a path of more complexity without much gain). He
said: "Special consideration for "what should be in the next block" and/or
the caching of block templates seems like an imposing dependency, dragging
in a bunch of state and infrastructure to a question that should be solely
limited to mempool feerate aggregates and the feerate of the particular txn
package a wallet is concerned with."

It seems that I under-explained the purpose of building/caching block
templates in my original post, since both you and James have the same
misunderstanding. Since RBF's introduction, we have improved to an ancestor
package-based mining algorithm. This supports CPFP (incentive compatible)
and it is now common to see more complex "families" of transactions as
users fee-bump transactions (market is working, yay). On the other hand, we
no longer have an accurate way of determining a transaction's "mining
score," i.e., the feerate of this transaction's ancestor package when it is
included in a block template using our current mining algorithm.

This limitation is a big blocker in proposing new fee/feerate RBF rules.
For example, if we say "the transaction needs a better feerate," this is
obviously flawed, since the original transactions may have very
high-feerate children, and the replacement transaction may have low feerate
parents. So what we really want is "the transaction needs to be more
incentive compatible to mine based on our mining algorithm," but we have no
way of getting that information right now.

In my original post, I [described 4 heuristics to get transaction's "mining
score"][1] using the current data cached in the mempool (e.g. max ancestor
feerate of descendant set), as well as why they don't work. As such, the
best way to calculate a transaction's mining score AFAICT is to grab all of
the related transactions and build a mini "block template" with them. The
[implementation][2] I sent last week also cuts out some of the fluff, so
the pseudocode looks like this:

// Get ALL connected entries (ancestors, descendants, siblings, cousins,
coparents, etc.)
vector<TxMempoolEntry> cluster = mempool.GetAllTransactionsRelatedTo(txid);
sort(cluster, ancestorfeerate);

// For deducting ancestors when they are included separately
vector<ModifiedTxMempoolEntry> modified_entries;

while (!cluster.empty() and !modified_entries.empty()) {
    iter = BetterAncestorFeerateOf(cluster, modified_entries);
    best_ancestor_package = GetAncestorSet(iter);
    mining_score = Feerate(best_ancestor_package);
    for (entry : best_ancestor_package) {
       mining_scores[entry] = mining_score;
       for (descendant : GetAllDescendants(entry) {
           modified_entries[descendant].DeductAncestorFromAccounting(entry);
       }
    }
}

Perhaps somebody will come up with a better way to do this, but this is my
solution, and I hope I've now sufficiently described why I've made an
effort to think about this. It's not because I want to make things more
fancy or complicated, but because we currently have no way of accurately
determining a transaction's mining score. The reason I proposed a
persistent block template is so we can efficiently query the mining score
of all transactions in the mempool.

> However, I do think that these DOS concerns are quite overblown. I wrote
up a comment on your rbf-improvements.md
<https://gist.github.com/glozow/25d9662c52453bd08b4b4b1d3783b9ff?permalink_comment_id=4093100#gistcomment-4093100>
detailing
my thought process on that. The summary is that as long as the fee-rate
relay rule is maintained, any "spam" is actually paid for, either by the
"first" transaction in the spam chain, or by the "spam" itself.

The DoS concern is not overblown. I recommend you re-read the [current RBF
policy][3]; Rule 3 and 4 *are* the feerate relay rules. Removing Rule 3
means allowing recycled fees, so new transactions are not necessarily
"paying" anything.

[1]:
https://gist.github.com/glozow/25d9662c52453bd08b4b4b1d3783b9ff?permalink_comment_id=4093100#mining-score-of-a-mempool-transaction
[2]: https://github.com/glozow/bitcoin/tree/2022-02-mining-score