Hi Luke,

I think this works as with OP_FLU based construct, for the simplest single
key case.

e.g., single key hot wallet(or MuSig2/FROST wallet)

<hot_pubkey> 1 "<time-delay> OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY OP_DROP OP_CHECKSIG"
OP_FORWARD_LEAF_UPDATE

The <hot_pubkey> is appended at spending time.

This allows the utxo to go to $recover cold storage at any point like
before, otherwise the time matures and the funds can be spent by a single
key. Rate-limiting like usual can be bolted on as well using OP_FORWARD_*
opcodes, I'm pretty sure. This would as you note require wallet support,
where the hot wallet would have to be aware of the vault, or be scanning
inputs looking for this type of leaf.

Unfortunately this doesn't extend to things like OP_CHECKSIGADD, since the
pubkeys are all pushed first, then the opcodes run. OP_CHECKMULTISIG would
have worked probably.

To generalize I think you'd need recursive taproot, or a proper replacement
for Bitcoin script :)

Cheers,
Greg

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Luke Dashjr <l...@dashjr.org> wrote:

> In ordinary use cases, you wouldn't clawback; that would only be in the
> extreme case of the wallet being compromised. So typical usage would just
> be receive -> send, like wallets currently do.
>
> Luke
>

> On 3/13/23 10:56, Greg Sanders wrote:
>
> Didn't finish sentence: but in practice would end up with pretty similar
> usage flows imho, and as noted in PR, would take a different wallet
> paradigm,
> among other technical challenges.
>
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 10:55 AM Greg Sanders <gsander...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Luke,
>>
>> Can you elaborate why the current idealized functionality of deposit ->
>> trigger -> withdrawal is too complicated for
>> everyday use but the above deposit -> withdrawal ->
>> resolve(claim/clawback)  wouldn't be? I admit at a high level
>> it's a fine paradigm, but in practice would end
>>
>> Let's ignore implementation for the discussion, since that's in flux.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 3:53 PM Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev <
>> bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I started reviewing the BIP, but stopped part way through, as it seems
>>> to have a number of conceptual issues.
>>>
>>> I left several comments on the PR
>>> (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1421#pullrequestreview-1335925575),
>>>
>>> but ultimately I think it isn't simplified enough for day-to-day use,
>>> and would harm privacy quite a bit.
>>>
>>> Instead, I would suggest a new approach where:
>>>
>>> 1) Joe receives funds with a taproot output like normal.
>>> 2) Joe sends funds to Fred, but Fred cannot spend them until N blocks