Andrew

I have implemented solutions using almost all different configuration
approaches, in production.

The BRE approach I used was based upon calling the rules engine with a
xml-message and letting the rule engine fill in certain nodes with values
based on the configuration. What you need to do next is read the xml node
values from inside the orchestration. If you make your vocabulary simple
enough you can very easily learn an admin how to update the values.

Another possibility is to use the excel file from Scott to enter the
configuration and the accompanying tool from
http://www.traceofthought.net/CategoryView,category,Deployment%20Framework.a
spx
Briefly it works like this: a SSO application is created and the values
exported from excel are deployed there using a command line tool. You can
use another supplied library to read the values from orchestration. The
values are not strongly typed so you have to cast them.

There is also a tool from Jon Flanders, which I have never used, that does
basically the same but is strongly typed. You can find more about it on his
blog.

The enterprise library is another option - but not a trivial one. You will
have to invest some time to learn it.
If you want to have different BizTalk servers share the same configuration
then you need a central place to keep it such as inside the SSO DB. There is
only a sample available from MS that shows how this can be done. Remember
it's only a sample - not as thoroughly tested as other MS code and not
supported for production. We have used this sample code and discovered some
issues with it, which were later fixed by the author (but not a short time
span). Now it looks to be stable for our scenario's and we have incorporated
the deployment of the SSO apps into our installation scripts.

So far about configuration.

For logging you can go for LOG4NET (or also the EL) or the default .NET
System.Diagnostics tracing for simple cases.

For exception handling I would personally advise to use the default shapes
from orchestration and do some additional logging there. Do not try to
combine the EL exception handling approach with orchestrations, it is
targeted at .NET apps.

Hope this helps...

Br,
Gregory van de Wiele