Thanks Julian.  Sounds as if a skilled operator can cut the jugulars
and effect a quiet, relatively humane death which results in
good-tasting meat not tainted by adrenalin.  At least, that seems to
have been Carol's experience.  I have always thought that bleeding to
death was supposed to be "uncomfortable" (painful?) to animals, or at
least anxiety provoking.  Perhaps that's not always the case.
Stephanie