On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:09:28AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> As we move forward in the code reorganization, I would like to remove some of
> the precompiler cruft.

> Which brings me to the following questions:

> a) are there any OS/2 people out there using blackbox.  I would like to
>    remove the OS/2 cruft if possible.

My OS/2 days are a fading memory. You can remove everything.

> b) the slit is currently a compile time option which I think is a little
     silly. How many of you actually compile with the slit turned off?
     How many of those would care if the slit was still in the code, but
     only active if an app was actually in it?
     In other words, why are you disabling the slit?

I compile with the slit. But except for 'bbkeys' I do not use it. I do
not like icons of any kind on the 'screen', only a narrow, minimal toolbar.

The only reason I use it with bbkeys is to have an easy way to put bbkeys
in the top right corner (and 'autohide' it).
I have no real use for the slit.

What has always surprised me with blackbox is that the 'toolbar' has
no functionality to speak of: you can switch workspaces, see the time
and see which window has the focus.

If you do have a toolbar why not a toolbar with some extra functionality:
- the possibility to have things like the bbkeys "keyhole" icon ON the toolbar.
- a built in "battery load" icon on the toolbar for laptop users.
- the functionality on the toolbar supplied by the "blackbox-taskbar-patch".
  (which is of course broken for blackbox-0.62).

These additions (if possible without adding too much complexity),
would enable people like me to make an aesthetically pleasing spartan
"desktop' without any ugly icons floating around.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sean and the others for
the nicely working 0.62.

Alexander