>     given that i started this thread i think it's time for me to
>     apologize for doing so. :)

this is a common issue on the list, do not feel bad.

Basically we have two main groups of people.  There is the "old timer" who has
used blackbox since before 0.50.  They like it just like it is and fight
against any change.  Then there is the recent convert.  He remembers some whiz
feature from his last wm and thinks it would be nice if blackbox had it.  Often
either the hackers (Brad and I) or the users and sometimes both disagree.
Occasionally the idea has merit and is either added to the wishlist or coded
promptly.

Blackbox's goal is not to be every other wm.  There are so many out there
because each one has its own merits and reason for being.  We are happy
pointing people to another wm when they are unhappy if that means not
compromising blackbox.  This is not always popular and sometimes leads to
"discussions".  I have no problem having them.  It helps all of us establish
what we want and what we don't.

Not everyone hear may know this but my hacking roots are in the Debian project.
LONG discussions are something I am very accustomed to.  They don't bother me.
It is not very often I take anything personally.  My opinion about open source
hacking is quite simple.  Bugs reports are great.  Do not berate someone for
submitting them, thank them.  I always try to.  User feedback is similar.  Even
if I 100% disagree and have no intention of doing what they ask it is important
that each person have the ability to express any issues or desires they have.
My stepfather always tells me "acceptance does not mean agreeing".  Wise words.
Sure some people will laugh and others will send flame.  Such is life on the
Net.  As project coordinator I always try to remain calm and explain my
rationale.  As I like to tell xOr, an argument is never truly over with me.
Give me real, valid reasons and explanations and I can be swayed.  But also
expect me to give you equally valid reasons against.

To wrap up, what I am trying to say is I hope no one on this list is ever
discouraged from voicing an opinion or idea.  It may be subsequently shot down
but at the same time we just might think it is brilliant.

And Matt I may bitch and complain about your little bugs but I appreciate them
just the same.  In fact I now have a special style which has ugly borders just
to test out proper pixel positions from now on.