On 19 Feb 2018, at 15:09, Mathieu Daëron wrote:

Under Preferences/Catalog/User/Recent Items, I have 10 recent documents (e.g, several PDF's) and 10 recent applications (e.g., Preview). But if I invoke Preview and press right-arrow, nothing happens.

If you look in `~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/`, do you see any `.sfl2` files corresponding to the applications in question?

These are binary property lists and looking at their contents with human eyes is unlikely to tell you much (other than the number of entries), but if you can see if the size is greater than 0 and the modified time is recent, that will at least tell us if your system is recording the information in the first place.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/