Archaic wrote:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:27:02AM -0600, Jack Brown wrote:

Great explanation..

Thanks. :)

The problem is that if you have lib-something.so in /lib and lib-something.a in /usr/lib, then when a package goes looking for lib-something to link into it's package it looks to /usr/lib sees the lib-something.a file and then stops looking any further and links against the static library instead of the dynamic one.

Aha! So there is a method to this madness. I hereby reject my claim to
organization. :)

OK. So let me summarize, at least for BLFS.

1. All .a files go in /usr/lib unless there is a specific (rare) movement to a package specific directory (X, KDE, etc).

2. .so.version files go in /usr/lib by default. The exceptions are as follows:

  a. Movement to a package specific directory as in 1.
  b. Movement to /lib for programs in /bin and /sbin

3. Links to .so.version files should go in both /usr/lib and /lib for reasons stated above. Note: a quick check of SuSE and RedHat shows policy consistent with this.

For BLFS, the only packages that I see affected by 2b and 3 are PAM and shadow. These could affect login under a recovery scenario where /usr is not available.

Is this consistent with everyone's understanding?