Randy McMurchy wrote:

I think the following example is going to clarify this finally for
you:

There are no .so files in /lib for Readline and Shadow. There is for
PAM. This is what I've been trying to say all along.

Additionally, the PAM .so files are in *both* directories. They are
not for Readline and Shadow.

OK. I think I finally see what you are saying. From my previous post:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 22 13:44 /lib/libpam.so -> libpam.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 22 13:44 /lib/libpam_misc.so -> libpam_misc.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 22 13:44 /lib/libpamc.so -> libpamc.so.0

are unnecessary.  And should be in /usr/lib only.

I think we then need to also remove /lib/libcrack.so -> libcrack.so.2.7