M.Canales.es wrote these words on 06/02/05 13:11 CST:

> Depend on how is configured the server that you want to conect to. 
> 
> That is very similar to CVS or Subversion. You can to use the internal 
> autenthication method or a more secure external one.

That would make sense. However, the default BLFS build at this
point uses ssh as the default transport. Looking at the source
code, best I can figure is that unless you pass additional
parameters to the configure script, rsync will attempt to use
ssh as the transport.

The internal mechanics aren't really the issue though. My question
is more about the policy that run-time dependencies aren't listed
unless there is a special exception. To me, this qualifies as a
special exception.

I will defer to whatever Bruce thinks is best, as policy is to not
list non-compile time dependencies. What it boils down to is:

1. List SSH as a recommended dependency, or
2. Place a note in the book about SSH (problem is, I'm not really
qualified to write this note, as I'm not familiar enough with the
internal mechanics of rsync).

-- 
Randy

rmlscsi: [GNU ld version 2.15.94.0.2 20041220] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.3]
[GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.10 i686]
13:18:00 up 61 days, 12:51, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.04
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to