Bernard Leak wrote these words on 07/22/05 11:57 CST: (thread moved from BLFS-Book, to this [the correct] list)
> I don't know how to use the instructions for installing a dictionary for > 'aspell': > the Book (still) says configure/make/make install . > Eh? Am I missing something, or is this daft? > I mean, at the very least, I'd like to know where to put the dictionary I've > fetched from the suggested location... I'm not sure what to think of this. If you follow the instructions and run the configure/make/make install for the dictionary, it will automatically be placed in the correct place according to where the Aspell package was installed. Indeed, if Aspell was installed in a non-standard prefix, the dictionary may not get installed where you think it should. > The section for "libpng-1.2.8" doesn't list zlib as a dependency, but of > course it is one. Base LFS packages are not listed as dependencies, as we expect it to already be installed when you built LFS. > In the "w3m" section, nkf is listed as in Debian's "unstable" tree, but it's > migrated > to "stable". Not sure what to think of this either. The link is functional and points one to the package. Is the 'unstable' version in the Debian tree any different than the 'stable' version? > The old version of gnome-print (gnome-print-0.37) has an HTTP source listed > as the linux.org.uk mirror. I think it's not unique, though I haven't checked > specifically. Shouldn't that be from the ftp.gnome.org site like the others? > A note at the chapter head on available mirrors would be kind (especially > as the original gnome.org site seems not to have one). Warning: the > linux.org.uk mirror is NOT complete and up-to-date. Does it really matter to anyone where one gets the package from? This version of GNOME-Print hasn't changed in years, and won't change. > The section for "courier-0.47" has "extacted" for "extracted" This will get BZ'd and fixed. Thanks. > The section for "xscreensaver-4.21" gives > command explanations which seem disconnected from > the commands themselves! As is done on *many* packages, some unused parameters to configure are listed as a convenience to the readers, if the Editor who placed it there deemed it important enough to add it. > Some mysteries: > Among the dependencies for GNOME-utilities-2.8.1 is listed > Linux-PAM-0.78 (requires consolehelper) > consolehelper? It's not mentioned as a dependency of Linux-PAM, > it's not apparently a tool provided by Linux-PAM, and it doesn't > feature anywhere else in the (6.0) document. You are correct. I added this, and cannot find a decent URL for the console helper package. I believe it to be Red-Hat specific. I only included PAM in the dependencies for thoroughness. > I found one bad link in the .pdf version of BLFS Book 6.0. > It seems to be all right in the live multipage .html version, but > it's not clear where the problem is, so I'm reporting it anyway. > In the section for "SDL-1.2.8", the listed dependency "NAS-1.6" > has a link to a random-looking location > (actually to the old aRts mini-section in chapter 37) > (n.b.: aRts has moved on to 1.4.0 in the live Book) I will look into this one and fix it if necessary. Thanks for the input and we'll fix the things we can. -- Randy rmlscsi: [GNU ld version 2.15.94.0.2 20041220] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.3] [GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.10 i686] 11:57:00 up 111 days, 11:30, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.01, 0.00 -- http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html Unsubscribe: See the above information page
