Dan Nicholson wrote:
If anything is
written, I'd be glad to peruse it and give an opinion as someone who
still has only the loosest grasp of how the hardware is set up.

Well, I've written some notes up on this, though they're not entirely accurate. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2005-October/053675.html has the original announcment and http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2005-October/053676.html has Alexander Patrakov's corrections to it, which I still haven't gotten around to incorporating yet.

Regards,

Matt.